Kalimantan or also commonly called Borneo is one of the five big islands in Indonesia. Kalimantan Forests are also known as the lungs of the earth in addition to the Amazon Forest in Brazil.
Unfortunately there are still many people who lack awareness of how important it is for us to continue to preserve the forest. Today there are still many illegal logging and burning of peatlands, not to mention the widespread of deforestation activities for various business and industrial purposes. And these things will have a fatal impact later on.
But here, we will not discuss about these activities. In this article I will share the story of my journey exploring the forests of West Kalimantan. Precisely in Sintang Regency.
Departing From Jakarta by Plane.
We traveled from Jakarta to Pontianak City, West Kalimantan, using an airplane with a travel time of about 1 hour 10 minutes. From Pontianak, the journey continues by land and normally it only takes about 10 hours, if we travel directly to the destination without stopping anywhere.
If you want to directly reach the destination without wasting time plus a pretty tiring journey. You can choose to use a plane from Pontianak directly to Sintang, the travel time is only about 40-50 minutes. Without any other exciting adventures of course 🙂
Starting from this point, we will stop at every good places. and I will share it here with you.
Note* Unfortunately we did not photograph all the places we visited. Some pictures taken from other sites as illustrations.
Pontianak City, West Kalimantan Capital City
Pontianak was the first city we visited when we landed on this island. People also call it Equator City (Kota Khatulistiwa) due to its geoposition which is located right on the equator line. There are many interesting places located in this city.
The following are some places that are worth visiting while in this city :
- Digulist Roundabout Fountain
- This fountain is located at the roundabout of Tanjungpura University. At night, this fountain presents a beautiful view for tourists to take pictures.
- Untan City Forest
- This Forest is a garden that collects plants and trees specifically in West Kalimantan as a place of biodiversity, educational development, urban forest development, as well as community recreation and entertainment facilities.
- Kapuas River Tourist Boat
- This boat was provided for tourists who want to see and enjoy the beauty of the Kapuas River. The boat itself operates every days from 04:00 p.m until 10:00 p.m.
- Kampung Beting
- Tourism isn’t always about beautiful things. Some tourists even like to travel to places which are anti-mainstream. If you are one of them, you might be interested in visiting Beting Village. With a high number of criminal and many drug dealers living in Kampung Beting, people start to call this village as the most extreme place in Pontianak. Others even named it “Pontianak’s Texas”. I don’t really know what they mean by that name, since I’ve never been to Texas LoL. But despite the bad image, this village has a lot of uniqueness and beauty inside.
- Kadariyah Sultanate Palace
- Kadariah Palace is the palace of the Pontianak Sultanate (1771 to 1778 AD). Sayyid Syarif Abdurrahman Alkadri was the first sultan to inhabit the palace. This palace is located near the center of Pontianak. As the forerunner to the birth of the City of Pontianak, Kadariah Palace became one of the attractions of history.
- Monument of Equator
- Pontianak is the only one city in the world that separates the northern hemisphere from the south. If you have ever wished to stand right at zero degrees latitude with one foot stepping on the northern hemisphere while the other foot on the southern hemisphere. Then you can do it while visiting this Monument.
Cinta Mangrove Park – Sungai Pinyuh District
After Pontianak City, one hour drive to the north we will arrive at Sungai Pinyuh sub-district, Mempawah Regency. In this district, we visited a Mangrove Park called Cinta Mangrove Park. There are various Mangrove species which of course have their own uniqueness.
Mangroves that grow in this park have a fairly large size, because this area was originally a mangrove forest. In addition, there are also various animals such as monkeys, various species of birds, monitor lizards, and various types of insects.
Waterfall Tourism – Landak Regency
After Sungai Pinyuh District, we continue the journey to Ngabang City, Landak Regency. This trip takes about 3 hours with a distance around 133 km.
In this regency there are so many beautiful waterfalls with cool hilly air, you will definitely like to linger here. Image Source : Google Map